1832

Monday, September 19, 2005

Biblical food for thought

I have always said that I will not sink to the level of using the Bible for political gain. This is for two main reasons; one, I don’t think either political party has the Bible completely on their side and two, as a well-minded Liberal I do not like to push my religious ideals on others too much. That said, I cannot help but wonder how the current administration can defend it’s many policies against the very Bible that it likes so much to call upon.

The particular passage that I have in mind which makes me stop and think is Deuteronomy 30:15.
“See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil.”

I wonder if God meant “good” things such as caring for the poor and afflicted, caring for the sick and elderly, caring for children and single mothers. I also wonder if maybe, just maybe, some of the evils He was referring to were things such as greed, war, poverty and military power…

Maybe He even meant going as far as taking the $6,000,000,000 we spend every month on the war in Iraq and using it instead to provide health care to every single child in the United States for an entire year.

Now I would never presume to speak for God (even Liberals fear His wrath!), but I think the picture I’m painting is fairly clear. As a nation so based on “moral values” I think it would be wise to hold our leaders accountable to higher standards than we currently do.