1832

Friday, April 22, 2005

FELLOW DEMOCRATS: TELL DEAN TO BE "DIGNIFIED"

According to the Star Tribune, Howard Dean was in Minnesota recently for a benefit for the American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota. Dean apparently made a speech that he delivered without notes (a trademark of his Presidential campaign by the way) and did a question and answer session.

What is newsworthy is that during his speech Dean drew howls of laughter from the crowd by mimicking a "drug-snorting Rush Limbaugh". Normally I do not have a problem with prominent Democrats making fun of Republicans as long as it is factual and done in relatively good taste. Dean's remarks and gestures regarding Rush Limbaugh, however, were neither.

As Dr. Dean should know, one does not "snort" pain-killers and if he has read the news at all he would know that Limbaugh was not found guilty of doing cocaine. In addition, as much as I dislike the man, I would think that members of the ACLU would agree that his addiction should be a private matter.

Our DNC Chairman responded to questions about his speech by saying:

"I'm not very dignified, he said."But I'm not running for president anymore."

You know what Dean? I worked for your disaster of a campaign and YOU LOST BECAUSE YOU WERE NOT DIGNIFIED. You had a great record and you had a great plan for this country, but you flushed it all down the toilet because you could not keep your mouth shut. When you decided to run for DNC Chairman, I had hoped that you had reflected on your campaign and your demeanor and had actually learned something about yourself. It seems that you have not.

I hope Dean realizes that while he may not be running for President, that he is the leader of the Democratic party and that requires that he act and speak in a dignified manner.

What I find even more absurd is that Dean, after making these comments, went on to state:

"That Democrats have to learn to speak from the heart and with respect to Americans who have found more comfort in Republican appeals to their fears about their jobs, health care, schools and national security."

Mr. Chairman, How is attacking a political opponent by making false accusations about alleged drug use, talking from the heart? How is that speaking with respect?

I think it would be prudent for the Chairman of the Democratic Party to follow his own advice.

UPDATE:
Many people have commented on how it is possible to "snort" painkillers and other drugs. This is something I do not doubt, I have personally witnessed some of my HS friends snorting ritalin. However, I was more or less referring to Rush Limbaugh's drug use, and it is my understanding that he did not abuse Oxy by snorting it, however, I could be wrong. In addition, reports from the event indicate that Howard Dean was alleging cocaine use in his joke which is factually incorrect.